Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm drinking a Coke, and she's getting an HIV test...



Ok guys, this for real happened today! This is how it went down...

Today, I roll up to Nyamaharanya Dispensary crammed on a beat up Boda Boda (motorcycle) with the driver, me, and Eunice (my translator friend). I pray every time we are climbing a hill that the bike won't tip over. This is after a crazy fiasco of being stopped by a piece of twine! crossing the road in order to make people give money - it's some local gov't thing. 

I went to this facility to see if people from Nyametaburu are going there for services (turns out not so much), and what they are able to provide. The Nurse in charge (3 yrs training) is a very nice man named Jarvis, and a lady named Susan is an assistant Nurse (2 yrs training). Jarvis is a gov't employee, Susan is a volunteer. They have been open since August 2nd and have seen - 658 patients!!!!! 

They were gracious and answered many questions I had about the facility and the patients, Walked us all around so I could see the set up, and then they went and bought Eunice and I each a coke. Sooo kind. I called the Boda Boda to come get us, and I asked if I could sit in while he saw patients, who just WAITED until I was done asking all my questions. Incredible. Oh, P.S. when they walked us into a room there was a lady getting some IV fluid.
But the IV hanger was a Nail holding up the twine and material that equals a window curtain here, and the "bag" looks like a cleaned out plastic liter bottle. NOT KIDDING! 


And the situation in the examination room...there is ONE table given by the school (Holding EVERYTHING - the zillion record books they have to keep by hand, the couple surgical instruments they have, the vitamins, etc.)  Chairs (one chair, and 2 low stools with no backs) were given by the community, and one examination table is borrowed from another health facility. The community has done so much to supply this facility. They go fetch water every day for the dispensary's use. A volunteer stays to cook for patients. REALLY - the support is incredible, and the resources are sosososo few!





So, this is how it happened - I'm doing what I normally do, sitting there, listening to complete Kiswahili trying to take notice of things I can understand - like privacy practices, doctor care, patient response, etc. And I'm drinking my coke, taking notes, and all of a sudden the Nurse says..."She has agreed to have an HIV test." At that moment ------- what do I do? I'm honestly sitting there thinking "I am drinking a coke, and this lady's life could change as a result of this test. I'm DRINKING A COKE and she's GETTING AN HIV TEST!!!!!!!!" 

Some thoughts racing in my mind: I've never seen an HIV test be performed; I don't know how long it takes to get the result; will my boda boda arrive before the result; will I ask to stay; what would I do if it's positive; would I pray with her; is she scared; will she tell her husband; should I keep drinking my coke....

From what I had found out earlier, this facility doesn't have ARTs except for pregnant mothers, they'd have to refer her. Would she go? Would she act like it was 5 minutes before and she didn't know she had HIV? 

I hear the "Doctori" say "It will take 15 minutes to get the result." So, I'm hoping I'll be there for the result. He keeps talking to her, I'm still drinking my coke, and then he says...It is negative. 

PRAISE THE LORD!

Guys...its incredible what's happening.  People are sitting in barely functioning health facilities that are testing and treating people for life threatening diseases, and half the world is sitting there drinking a Coke! It is a BIG endeavor - equality! allocation of resources! justice! care! LOVE! I love the people who see this and check themselves. I love the ones who can't, and pray that one day they will. We're all at a different stage of life, but where you are right now -- can you DO something? I'd venture to guess you could; FIND something you want to be a part of! Something bigger than yourself. Just give yourself to it for a season, and just SEE what happens! 

** Please check out my team mates blogs - they're better writers than me, and we all talk about different events **

4 comments:

T@R@ said...

i love reading about your day to day there and think you are a great writer....i also love that one of your labels on this post was coke...just in case anyone was wanting to read about coke one day ;) i am awful though because i never label my blogs so who even knows what i am writing about? i should probably just label them all "random thoughts" like this comment....love and miss you and all of you guys are in my prayers!! <3

Unknown said...

great blog janine--thanks for the images the stories and the dose of reality. Folks are praying for y'all!

Andrea said...

Our pastor did a sermon a few weeks ago about reaching people for Jesus...across the street and around the globe. He related it to the marketing of Coke. Did you know that in the last 100 years, 97% of people around the WORLD have heard of Coca-Cola? 72% have laid eyes on a Coke? 51% of the WORLD has had a drink of Coca-Cola???

Can't stop thinking of that, ever since then, and it is EXACTLY what you are talking about in your blog. Did you also know that 1.7 BILLION people do not have access to the Good News of Jesus Christ??? So, yeah, what in the world is Coke doing that we, as Christians, are not? We're not as relentless in carrying out our message as they are :/

I'm not going to say "that's a shame, isn't it?" I'm not going to say "that's sad." It should make us excited and encouraged that we have a calling to reach 1.7 BILLION people still with the Good News...inspiring isn't it? Next time you drink a Coke or see an ad for a Coke, let it be a reminder to (you, me, and anyone who reads this) be relentless in sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ to those who may not otherwise hear it.

Love you! Praying for you and your team and the people you have and will encounter!

Anonymous said...

Had a chance to read your blog today. After I got your e-mail last week I have been praying for you to have success, both personally and in this new endeavor. The stories about Kenya are amazing. So much different than here. I am a little jealous of this fantastic opportunity you have, but I am sure that I will eventually find my calling as well. God bless.