Saturday, November 1, 2008

6 Random Facts....

So approximately 2 months ago my friend, and amazing blogger, "tagged" me in this opportunity for randomness :) She thought it'd be a great way to start my blog. I think it'll be a great way to describe my last week here in Kenya..... 


RANDOM THINGS! ~ Something Random that doesn't count as one of the 6...I just found out that you can do colors on this thing!!! ;) Get Ready ~ 


1. Last week while I did 4 home visits, asking tons of questions to try and get an understanding of daily struggles, and health issues of families in Nyametaburo, I visited a lady, who 10 years ago was pregnant and had pains and traveled to the doctor to find out what was going on. Well, she left not being able to buy the medicine the doctor recommended. See he wasn't able to give it to her, because the supply given by the government wasn't enough to last him until the next shipment. So, she would have had to buy it at the Chemist (with a jacked up price), so she couldn't. She asks if me and my translator, Eunice, can help her get to a hospital to get an x-ray because she thinks the baby is still in her. 

2. I just got DIVE BOMBED! There are these bugs, we call dive bombers, and my teammate Jake calls them a cross between well...to use his words exactly..."The dive-bomber is an interesting (and by interesting I mean evil) bug/bee/moth thing that is similar to a wasp with a long dragon tail. These things come out at night and circle overhead endlessly... They wait until our guard is down, and then they literally dive headfirst into us" I am SERIOUSLY in the middle of writing this, and the Dive Bomber Got Me! It landed on my desk, for the 4th time! AH! And another one just got me in the head. I am NOT kidding. Well, the one on my desk, landed on my head band, so I threw it on the floor and stomped it. ONE DOWN -- 2 more to go apparently! WHY ARE THEY ONLY DIVE BOMBING ME?! Doug is right here? Another one down...JUST NOW. Ok, so in the last 2 minutes I've called one dive bomber a "jerk" and another one "sucka". OUT of control! Doug is trying to swat down dive bombers.

3. Kenya has the BEST chai! Tea with milk and sugar! It is better than anything! ;) We go to this place to eat that's really inexpensive, quick, and delicious! My favorite "meal" here is Chai and Chipati! Chapati = fried flour, burrito style wrap. So good. But back to the Chai...They have it PIPING hot, in a thermos. All mixed already - Milk (usually 2/3) and Water and sugar! ;) It is SSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOO good. I wake up craving it...no kidding. Oh, and for you who are interested in what "inexpensive" means....we eat a lot! Me, Doug, Nicole, and Jake, and the bill is 700 Kshs ($1US = somewhere between 63 and 80 Kshs- depending on the exchange) So...between $8.75 and $11.11. Crazy! Last week we ate at this place -  Bukira West Hotel - 2 nights in a row. One because we ran out of propane for our Gas Cooka (propane stove) and the next night because we had a training in Nyametaburo and were there till late, and knew we'd be hungry and have meetings in the night, so... 2 nights in a row! Oh, another random thing in line with this..."hotel" here means it's a place to eat...not sleep. ;)

4. My team is hilarious! So, maybe this is already known from some of the things I've said, but...Doug, Nicole, and I usually "Choo it up" together each night...and for real, Doug is a gentleman and uses the "alternachoo" as we've named it. No one wants to use it because it's full of "whiskers". Whiskers are these cricket looking things with HUGE whiskers. So, Doug opens the door and makes some hilarious whiskers comment, while Nicole goes to the "good" choo. I literally have almost peed my pants while waiting for her. We laugh so much about the scoot you have to do to correct for the spray. hahahaha. It's pretty hilarious. I'm close to mastering the Pivot. I feel good about this move. If you've ever used the bathroom in a hole in the ground, you know how it is to "master" anything about that experience! Jake continually makes us laugh - at the amount of sugar he eats (Shugs Nuru), the comments like "Has anyone seen my pants" - when he left his pants hanging on the laundry line for a week, and especially when we're watching West Wing. These people have become our friends. And right now we're waiting on our Team Mate Karina to send the 3rd season of WW. Can't wait. Jake misses it every night. Last night he taught us how to play spades...great fun (Nicole and Doug are low bidders), but didn't fill the void. ;)


5. I found CHEESE today! ;) I haven't seen it at ALL since we've been here. None of the Hotels have it. None of the meals have cheese. We were all were missing it...more at the beginning of the trip than now, but still! So, Today we had a grilled cheese! oh my goodness. 1. the cheese itself was not awesome, it's just the fact that it's cheese at all 2. The grilled cheese was GREAT (no pickles in the middle tho mom...no pickles here...I did "gourmet" it up tho...added tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano -- good stuff - thought about adding garlic like how we used to do in the YHC days) I found the cheese block in our market stop - "supermarket" - ish. It's great to load up on Ramen (it's more expensive here than in the US), biscuits, and peanut butter! Nicole and I always buy a cold Pineapple juice box to drink when we leave. Migori is the place we go - it's about 20 minutes from Isebania where we live. We also got to a store that sells poster board, notebooks, and staplers. All things we bought today for our work and our trainings. 
6. When brushing my teeth - I always try to hit my first spit line full of the toothpaste, with the 2nd spit line which is mostly water. You know what I mean? We wake up the next day and see our toothpaste marks in our yard. So, I really try to hit the exact same trajectory so I can dilute the toothpaste stain. ;) I get to brush my teeth under beautiful stars. And tonight there is a pretty incredible lightening show. Oh, how bout this for related random - when I was still in the US and praying about coming here, I said, "God, I'm really gonna miss lightening storms." I was thinking it wouldn't storm here, just rain maybe, (I don't know what I was thinking) BUT... We get lightening. Beautiful lightening. Awesome sunsets. We've had some hail stones (hilariously loud on a tin roof). It's incredible weather. Not hot (except for moments during the day while in the house) and it's not cold, even tonight, there's wind - it's cool - but not cold. It's really great environmentally here! ;) Completely nerdy to say, but I love the outdoors, so it means something to me. 

Well, that's that. My weekend post. I got to skype my family: Megan, Brian, and Owen tonight, and tomorrow I'll get Mom, Dad and later Tara and Jamie! ;) Good Stuff. Lovin my life. Thanks for readin along.

OH, and the Tag thing...Hmmm... 6 people. Well...
Here are the tagging rules:
1. Post the rules on your blog
2. Write 6 random things about yourself
3. Tag 6 people at the end of your post
4. If you're tagged, DO IT and pass on the tag
1. My team mate - Nicole - she would do well to have a topic for a post - she usually would post if she could think of anything to write about ;) JK. She posts all the time! Just wanna see your random + ness.
2. Tara! ;) hahaha. Tagged you back - give me more random. I love it and miss it about you so much!
3. Jake - this is a test. I don't think you read my blog! hahaha
4. Billy - you always comment - give me 6 random comments. ;)
5. Riley - I don't know much about you and you follow my blog - Hi! Tell me random stuff.
6. Tiffany Newcomb! - I know you're on the road. You've gotta have some hilarious stuff to tell me. 

4 comments:

T@R@ said...

i will have to think of some more good randomness but i'm sure i can do it since it is pretty much the epitome of my life ;) and i LOVE the colors!!! gonna have to try that out on my own blog....thanks for the comments btw and can't wait to skype w/ you tomorrow :):)

Andrea said...

OMGsh!!! I miss you! I want to live in the middle of nowhere with my kids and Jamie one day, so we can play the toothpaste game! How little would you care about a kid's room being clean and telling them to stop texting/playing video games/turn down their iPod, if the most fun you had with them was spitting toothpaste and doing a dance in the choo??? More people should live like that. The world would be a happier place :) Can't wait to read more!

Tiffany said...

give me a day and check back... it will surely be awesome. (especially since I am blogging for real these days)

Nicole said...

Yes, glad you tagged me! Randomness- I have tons of it ready to roll! Next post you'll see it ;)

Love your blog J. I live it all with you, but your stories still crack me up.

I love doing life with you. You're a beautiful person- a gift to our team and to Kuria. I mean it!