Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I drove a motorcycle today...

I seriously drove a motorcycle today for the first time in my life, wearing flip flops, on a dirt road, with the most wind ever blowing in my face (getting ready to rain), coming home from Nyametaburo Health Center, in Kuria, Kenya!
Peter, is one of our awesome Boda Boda drivers, and today we were talking as we rode back from Nyametaburo and I asked him how much a Boda Boda cost (his was 86,000 Kshs) and he started talking about me learning to drive one, and he would teach me, and it would only take 3 days. He asks me if I can balance on a bike..."yes, I can."

So, then he's stopping the bike and asking me to get off the bike to show me a few things. He shows me the kick start, the brakes, the clutch, gas, gears, etc. Explains it all, and then says, I want you to start it...So...I get on the bike, and try to kick start it. Totally didn't happen the first time, but the second time it started and then....he's getting on the back of the bike and showing me how to change gears, balance, and give GAS!!! We are driving down the road!!!! For real!  OH MY GOSH!!! 

GUYS!!!! I drove a motorcycle for the first time in my life in Kenya?! Who gets to do that?! Awesome, and ya'll...how much fun! So much wind, and I totally kept the bike balanced, and gave gas and let up at the right times....lots of pots holes and bumbs in the road...it was fun! Totally not what I expected to do today....but come to think of it, what day do I ever live where I "expected" what happened to have happened! Hope you're living unexpected and beautiful days! Grace and Peace!!! ~ janine

4 comments:

Andrea said...

How funny that you look like you're wearing biker-looking clothes (black and denim)! I'm getting you a some chaps for Christmas, that's it! Sounds like living in Kenya for you is much like motherhood for me...you never know what to expect on any given day (like on your way out the door to church, you suddenly find yourself cleaning up poop, while your kid is crying in pain from being constipated...nope, didn't expect that...just thought we were headed out the door to church, but okay) :) Mexico 2010! Woohoo! P.S. Don't get pregnant or plan a wedding between now and then, okay?

T@R@ said...

love your hilarious life and SO glad i got to see your face and hear your voice yesterday!!

Meghan Baird said...

You look like in real live biker chick with those rolled jeans and black shirt! Serious biker chick. serious fun.
;p

Tiffany said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so freakin' excited... I bet your face was the best part. So good I almost forgot about it.